Last updated

Signature by the title holder of the property

When a document is to be registered, the registered owner of the property must sign the document by hand. If a declaration of non-disposal is registered, the rightholder must grant their written consent.

The registered owner needs to sign.

A document for registration must be signed by the person or persons who have the registered title to the property in question. The title holder must sign in pen. The original document must be sent for registration.

The title holder is the person who is registered as the owner of a property. This person has the registered title to the property. Multiple people can be title holders for the same property. For example, spouses who own the residence together. The general rule is that no one may sell, mortgage or register other documents that apply to the property without the consent of the title holder.

The requirement that the title holder must consent to registration is stipulated in Section 13 of the Norwegian Land Registration Act.

Use of power of attorney

It is sometimes the case that the title holder wishes to entrust someone else with the practical execution. The title holder can then grant another person power of attorney to sign on his/her behalf. The person who is granted power of attorney signs the document that is to be registered and encloses the power of attorney as documentation.

Read more about power of attorney.

Signature of guardian

If the registered owner is a minor, or is unable for other reasons to safeguard his/her own interests, the document to be registered must be signed by a guardian. In many instances, the County Governor must consent to registration.

More information for guardians can be found at the website "Vergemålsportalen" (Guardianship Portal).

Signature stamp, fingerprint or held pen

On account of disability, it may sometimes be difficult for the person with registered title to sign. It may then be appropriate to use signature stamp, fingerprint or held pen.

Consent when declaration of non-disposal is registered

In some cases it is not sufficient that the title holder alone has signed a document for registration. An outside party may also have to consent. This is particularly relevant when declaration of non-disposal is registered. For example, prohibition on the sale or mortgage of the property or housing cooperative unit. Real estate agents use declarations of non-disposal in connection with the sales they carry out.

The person or company for whom the declaration of non-disposal is registered to the benefit of (rightholder) may consent to registration by writing, for example, “I/we consent to registration”. Confirmation is then given with name, signature and date. If the rightholder is a company, the company should also use its stamp. The consent should ideally be written at the bottom of the document that is to be registered. There is no separate section for this in the standardised forms.

Consent may also be granted in the form of a separate declaration that is enclosed together with the document to be registered.

Signature on behalf of private company

The title holder may be a company, an association or another legal entity. It is the board of the company or possibly a person authorised to sign on behalf of the company who must sign the document to be registered. Some documents can be signed by someone who has power of procuration. Separate rules apply for liquidated and bankrupt companies.

Signature on behalf of public authorities

The applicable legislation and possible delegation decision will determine who can sign on behalf of the various public authorities. The municipalities are normally represented by the mayor.